Super Mario 63 w/ a Wii Remote?!

Discuss the campaign of SM63 or other aspects of SM63 here that do not pertain to the Level Designer.

Moderator: Level Moderator

Super Mario 63 w/ a Wii Remote?!

Thumbs up x1

Postby Rizumu Tenshi » February 9th, 2014, 9:08 am

NOTICE: This way of play is best used with any kind of HDTV, just make sure the cable is HDMI...or DisplayPort if your PC and TV support it, and if you wish to use it

For those of you who have a Wii, if you don't know already, your Wii Remote can be used for other stuff, not only the Wii. Mostly the PC. And it uses Bluetooth to communicate with the Wii, so you can do the same thing with the PC. If you do know, you know the Wii and its stuff well. :)

What would one do with such a thing made for the Wii?
There's a lot you can do, but since we're here in Super Mario 63, you can play SM63 with a Wii REMOTE. YES, A Wii REMOTE.

If you wanna do it, just listen to me.
Here's how it goes.
How to play Super Mario 63 with a Wii Remote: show
You need a program called GlovePIE for that. Not posting the link, you can search easily. You will also need Bluetooth for your PC.

1. Make sure Bluetooth is active on your PC. If it's not packed with Bluetooth, use a Bluetooth dongle. (if your dongle comes with Microsoft Bluetooth Stack, you're using GlovePIE's recommended stack)
2. Start GlovePIE.
3. The steps from here vary. They will be marked like ~n~ where n is the method number.
~1~ Write your preferred script that will help you play SM63 using a Wii Remote or use this code as a template to help create your script:
Code: Select all
Key.Up = Wiimote.Two
Key.Z = Wiimote.B
Key.X = Wiimote.SwingVertical
Key.C = Wiimote.One
Key.Left = Wiimote.Up
Key.Down = Wiimote.Left
Key.Right = Wiimote.Down
Key.P = Wiimote.Home
Key.Minus = Wiimote.Minus
Key.Equals = Wiimote.Plus

This template is my way of using the Wii Remote in SM63.
~2~ Go to the GUI tab, hit 1 and 2 simultaneously to connect your Wii Remote.
~1~ Connect your Wii Remote in any way:
  • Go to the GUI tab and hit 1 and 2. A ton times easier.
  • In Windows, go to the Bluetooth settings, click "Add a (Bluetooth) device" but make sure you hold 1 and 2 on the Wii Remote all the time till you add it!! When you see it, click it (its name starts with Nintendo if you don't know what is its name), it'll say you need a PIN, don't type anything and click Next if there's no skip, or skip the PIN. It should be connected.
~2~ You have the buttons Z, X, C, the arrow keys, - and = on the keyboard where = is + in SM63. Detect each button and then detect your preferred input in the Wii Remote to use the input as the output button, one output button per input button. For example, you detect Z as the output button. Then you detect B as the input button on the Wii Remote. B on the Wii Remote will serve as if it was Z on the keyboard. Do this until all of the buttons are mapped.
5. From here it's one method again. Check the script and see if there's anything you want to revise.
6. Make sure the Wii Remote is connected. If the LEDs are off, hit any button, but not a combo. If they don't blink, the Wii Remote is connected. If they do blink, the Wii Remote is NOT connected. Connect it.
7. RUN THE SCRIPT! Your Wii Remote now works and is operating.
8. Run SM63. I suggest you run the Flash version here.
9. Start everything and you're ready to go!

If you tried it out, tell me how does it feel to play SM63 from any place in your room with the Wii Remote, regardless of the FPS.

EDIT: HDMI isn't the only cable here, eh? DisplayPort added, there's always a possibility of the cable being DisplayPort NOT HDMI.
Last edited by Rizumu Tenshi on April 4th, 2014, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
All updates lie in Absolute Randomness
osu! progress so far (may not be updated or correct): show
Learning to make sig banners myself...: show
Back to CyanogenMod, Deresute only for now
May have to redo the bottom text colour (and its stroke)

If the signature is only a post ending, but you have a "sandbox" for all your content, then just link to the sandbox and let all the content be in the sandbox. That, is the osu! userpage for me. Now, where was I...

~RT desu
Rizumu Tenshi
As Ninja As Myst

Error contacting Twitter

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Biggest Fanboy Winner

Thumbs Up given: 4 times
Thumbs Up received: 7 times

Re: Super Mario 63 w/ a Wii Remote?!

Postby Zunar » March 9th, 2014, 9:39 am

I've tried this and it works perfectly. Thanks BT!
Zunar
Honorary Member

Thumbs Up given: 14 times
Thumbs Up received: 51 times

Postby Rizumu Tenshi » April 4th, 2014, 4:20 am

You're welcome. :)
Oh, must've taken a month for these replies to be posted... Must be a bump again, but at least there's a new way to play SM63~

If the signature is only a post ending, but you have a "sandbox" for all your content, then just link to the sandbox and let all the content be in the sandbox. That, is the osu! userpage for me. Now, where was I...

~RT desu
Rizumu Tenshi
As Ninja As Myst

Error contacting Twitter

Runouw Votes Winner

Postby Zunar » April 4th, 2014, 1:34 pm

This is actually useful for more than just Super Mario 63. It's good for SNES games or SMBC or other such games.
Zunar
Honorary Member

Postby Rizumu Tenshi » April 4th, 2014, 11:21 pm

I mentioned that in the first post, right?
There's a lot one can do, including SNES games, SMBC, yeah. Even one can use it in, for instance, Despicable Me: Minion Rush! And I do that!
I'd love to try a DualShock 3 though, but that's gonna be off-topic...Maybe must buy a PS3 then come back with a DualShock 3 used in SM63, and add the DualShock 3 w/ the Wii Remote. (or just buy the DualShock 3, right?)

btw, this gives me the sudden urge to play the game with the Wii Remote...again~

~RT desu
Rizumu Tenshi
As Ninja As Myst

Error contacting Twitter

Runouw Votes Winner

Postby Zunar » April 5th, 2014, 6:58 am

The only thing that sucks is that GlovePIE can't recognize the Classic Controller's joysticks properly without some add-on and said add-on isn't working on my computer for some dumb reason.
Zunar
Honorary Member

Postby Jhynjhiruu » October 15th, 2017, 4:22 am

There's actually another way to do it. It turns out, there's a hidden mode in the game called Wii Mode. No joke. When activated (haxx :D) you control Mario by moving the mouse cursor. By setting up something like a DolphinBar, it shouldn't be too hard to use a Wii Remote to play SM63 using the built-in support.
Jhynjhiruu
Mage's Apprentice

Thumbs Up given: 0 times
Thumbs Up received: 10 times

Return to Super Mario 63 General