Contest Theme Suggestions

Level Designer Contests, discussion about and help with the Level Designer, information about glitches, and levels and level series can be found here.

Moderator: Level Moderator

Re: Contest Theme Suggestions

Postby Harmless » June 4th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Not really...

I've seen plenty successful fire/water levels without metal caps.
Expect something cool here soon!

~ Tesla Bromonovich
Harmless
Is it lunch time yet?

Runouw Votes Winner
For winning Master of a Hidden Talent in the RV Summer 2017

Thumbs Up given: 271 times
Thumbs Up received: 240 times

Postby Asterocrat » June 4th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Harmless wrote:Not really...

I've seen plenty successful fire/water levels without metal caps.

I think he meant Fire throwers and Water, respectively.

But yeah, these two items allow way more freedom when it comes to gameplay than cannons and Power caps, for example.
Gift by Forgotten - Full size here!: show

Asterocrat
Former Cosmic Ruler

Error contacting Twitter

Runouw Votes Winner
Best Super Mario 63 Level (Can't fix what isn't broken) with "Neon City" in Runouw Votes Summer 2014!

Thumbs Up given: 267 times
Thumbs Up received: 309 times

Postby Vajrin » July 3rd, 2015, 7:53 pm

I think snowy land is an interesting one. Isn't It?

Alternate signature: show

Credit to l.m

Read this!: show
All of my SM63 levels (except Moonlight Fireflies Forest, Frost Citadel and Silent Seabed) now use Jhynjhiruu and Forgotten's respawning.swf so make sure you are connected to the internet and use the full version!
Vajrin
Code: Awesome

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #31: Dream

Thumbs Up given: 73 times
Thumbs Up received: 20 times

Postby Supershroom » July 3rd, 2015, 11:32 pm

We've had that in the 17th LDC. Which means, we could revive it in the 34th LDC.

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Postby Vajrin » July 4th, 2015, 2:17 am

Supershroom wrote:We've had that in the 17th LDC. Which means, we could revive it in the 34th LDC.

Oh no I forget about that. :facepalm:

Alternate signature: show

Credit to l.m

Read this!: show
All of my SM63 levels (except Moonlight Fireflies Forest, Frost Citadel and Silent Seabed) now use Jhynjhiruu and Forgotten's respawning.swf so make sure you are connected to the internet and use the full version!
Vajrin

LDC #31: Dream

Thumbs Up given: 73 times
Thumbs Up received: 20 times

Postby Killswitch » July 5th, 2015, 11:36 pm

How about a level with no specific goal like an open world? I'm pretty sure it could qualify for being fun.
Killswitch
Prophet of Shadowsquid

A Good Start

Thumbs Up given: 1309 times
Thumbs Up received: 28 times

Postby Supershroom » July 6th, 2015, 5:37 am

Every level does have a goal, whether it's just getting the shine, or collecting red coins / silver stars, or defeating a boss etc.

If you want an open world, maybe you could think of levels that are rather wide (e.g. galaxies in space), with no tunnel systems, massive walls of bricks or narrow landscapes. That could be interesting indeed.

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Postby Awesomeguy 99 » July 16th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Have we ever thought of making levels based on Non-Mario games as an LDC? Like you could have, per say, Zelda as a topic. I think it would be a cool idea and seeing how people would make something of another game with the LD.
Might be ready in a bit.

That up there was made by *Emelia K. Fletcher

3DS and Wii U Friend Code Things: show
3DS Friend Code:2380-2659-1596
NNID (Wii U): EarthboundKirby (Watch the Caps!)
PM Me before adding me.

My Own Personally and Cheap Signature: show
Awesomeguy 99

3rd Place in the Runolympics SM63 LDC Event

Thumbs Up given: 33 times
Thumbs Up received: 54 times

Postby Killswitch » July 18th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Supershroom wrote:Every level does have a goal, whether it's just getting the shine, or collecting red coins / silver stars, or defeating a boss etc.

If you want an open world, maybe you could think of levels that are rather wide (e.g. galaxies in space), with no tunnel systems, massive walls of bricks or narrow landscapes. That could be interesting indeed.

:|

What I meant was that these "goals" are optional, your level can be more exploration-oriented.
Killswitch
Prophet of Shadowsquid

A Good Start

Postby Killswitch » July 22nd, 2015, 8:23 am

This idea might go against traditional LDCs...but what if we can use our own previously designed levels and revise that? You can change what you felt you could do better, etc.
In the vault, both the original level and the revised level must be presented.
Killswitch
Prophet of Shadowsquid

A Good Start

PreviousNext

Return to Super Mario 63 Level Designer