How can you put more words into a sign?

Level Designer Contests, discussion about and help with the Level Designer, information about glitches, and levels and level series can be found here.

Moderator: Level Moderator

How can you put more words into a sign?

Postby Supershroom » July 24th, 2014, 9:38 am

I've tried to put more words into a sign by editing the code (stringing all words with %20's between them), but they weren't shown neither in the level nor in the sign's window. I've seen signs including way much more than allowed in many levels, so how can you enlarge the capacity of a sign?
Last edited by Supershroom on August 14th, 2014, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you, FF.

Nan's sig! From the previous Secret Santa event!: show
Rating standards: show
1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.
Look at this!: show
My total SM63 level experience: 2803 levels.
Total coins collected in these: 306800

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

My Level Collection: http://runouw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47186

Other Important Links:
Last Legacy Level Designer tutorial
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Eternal SM63 Score Table (all LDC scores available)
Top 10 Lists for LDC's (highest averages in a single judging criterion)
Runouw Votes Eternal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner
New Years 2016: Best Level Winner (Ride Through The Mines)

Thumbs Up given: 244 times
Thumbs Up received: 126 times

Re: How can you put more words into a sign?

Postby -BY » July 24th, 2014, 10:22 am

If I remember correct, it's allowing you to use more words per sign, if you're simply reducing the fonts size for said sign text. I never used this stuff for any levels of mine as I'm simply... uhm not talking all that much to the player normally.

Big thank you to FrozenFire who created this masterpiece. : )
-BY
Honorary Member

Razzian Fighter

Thumbs Up given: 72 times
Thumbs Up received: 100 times

Postby Supershroom » July 24th, 2014, 10:31 am

When outbidding the default capacity of a sign and then reading it while playing, there's still some space left free on that grey panel or however you wanna call it, and I've seen signs where this panel is almost fully covered. There must be also a way to insert more words without reducing the size.

Thanks however, for now I'll try to make it with reducing the size, though it looks a little bit worse.

Thank you, FF.

1 star: (0 - 5.75 in LDC) These levels need a lot of work. They're totally un-elaborated, and/or inherently flawed due to things like cutoff or enemy spam, or they're untested and there are too many bugs gameplay-wise, in short: Many many things went wrong in such a level.

2 stars: (6 - 9.75) These levels are not terrible, but poor. They're too short, lack scenery or they have errors and/or bugs but it's still barely enjoyable. Again, spend more effort and try to do better. (if it's your first level that I rate two stars, it's not bad. There's a long way you can still go)

3 stars: (10 - 12.75) These levels are about mediocre. They may be still a little bit short, the gameplay is fine but not very original and graphics are also solid, but not breath-taking. Try to keep improving!

4 stars: (13 - 15) These levels are nice, but not the best. Effort has been put into them, there can some professionality be seen in gameplay and graphics, they're a nice experience to play, but there are still things you can do to make it even better. Try to go the extra mile!

5 stars: (15.25 - 20) These are really great levels, those which, as said, I would give more than 15 in an LDC. These suffice many high requirements, and it already goes into subtleties if you want to make them better. These levels are successful all around. Bravo.

These are just general principles I try to follow when rating. Sometimes I don't leave a further comment when rating, most times I do, if you have questions about it, feel free to ask further.

The WITBLO11 Tribute

A showcase of the 25 best levels of 2011, including such fantastic levels as Niveau Victorieux Galaxy, Plastic Beach, Dimension Infinity, Realm of the Heavens/Parallel Spires, and more!

Other Important Links:
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » July 24th, 2014, 11:06 am

Basically, the way people add more words than the limit onto the sign is by going into the code. You have to do it manually:

Code: Select all
|73,160,864,Hello%2C%20this%20is%20a%20test%2E|

^That's the sign there. In order to add more words you just type them in through the code, using %20 as a space and %2E as a full stop/period. If you want to add more punctuation like commas, semicolons, apostrophes etc, you can work them out by getting another sign and putting the punctuation on it then looking in the code to see what it translates as in HTML. Like here, the comma is %2C.

It's best to do it this way, some people add in words/sentences and just type it out normally, like:

|73,160,864,Hello, this is a test.|

But that just causes a bug where all the words stick together on the sign, because the spaces are automatically removed from the code.

Yeah, it's actually pretty simple and it's a bit tedious at first, but you get used to it. You just have to do good playtesting if you follow this method because you might end up accidentally putting too many words on the sign, and then having it go offscreen.

EDIT: Tbh, I disagree with changing the font size. Remember you can view the designer as small, normal or large and sometimes the font size can be either too big or too small that it's unreadable on some computers/laptops. I've been faced with that before. If you have too much to say and can't fit into one sign, either put two right next to each other or to be less frustrating for the player, just try and water the sentence/paragraph down and be a bit more concise.
"I treat everyone equally, depending on how much I like them." ~Me
The below image is a montage of my individual highest placing LDC creations, as a reminder to myself that level designing is a part of my life that I can't just leave behind

I made this sig so credits to mee :amp smile:
~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

SM63 Level Designer Contest Winner
LDC #30: Finale/The Ultimate Battle

Thumbs Up given: 226 times
Thumbs Up received: 611 times

Postby Asterocrat » July 24th, 2014, 11:16 am

There is an easier way that doesn't require to use the code too much:

Put a sign in your level, then write as much as you can. Then add a second sign immediately after (make sure you put no other item before you put the second sign), and continue your sentence/paragraph exactly where you left off. If needed, continue in a third sign, etc... Then copy/paste your code in NotePad. Your code should end like this:

|73,192,864,This%20sentence%20is%20too%20lo|73,224,864,ng%20to%20fit%20in%20one%20sign~1~1~My%20Level

All you have to do there, is get rid of the part that goes "|73,XXX,YYY," in the middle of your sentence ( so all of them except the first one)! Then you'll be left with one sign only and a full paragraph.
Gift by Forgotten - Full size here!: show

Asterocrat
Former Cosmic Ruler

Error contacting Twitter

Runouw Votes Winner
Best Super Mario 63 Level (Can't fix what isn't broken) with "Neon City" in Runouw Votes Summer 2014!

Thumbs Up given: 267 times
Thumbs Up received: 309 times

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » July 24th, 2014, 11:22 am

Actually that method is far easier. Even I'll have to consider using that methinks.
The below image is a montage of my individual highest placing LDC creations, as a reminder to myself that level designing is a part of my life that I can't just leave behind

~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

Postby Supershroom » July 26th, 2014, 4:10 am

Thanks, it worked (duh).

Now I have an important question which I don't wanna post in the tutorial thread since there I have the last post, so:

When searching for how to make invisible tiles and checking the code of Suyo's level "The Coin Bridge", I've found two different tile-ID's:
0*19*7^

and
0*3*7]7^

Is there any difference between them and what is the "]" effecting?

And furthermore, how do you make foreground tiles like e.g. blue bricks "undefined" so you can go through them? I've seen this in Republic's level "Logical Forest" and I need to know for making the WITBLO11 tribute.

Thank you, FF.

The WITBLO11 Tribute

Other Important Links:
Eternal SM63 Medal Table
Supershroom
Our local SM63 Spielberg

Runouw Votes Winner

Postby ~MP3 Amplifier~ » July 26th, 2014, 8:34 am

Well, invisible tiles are just 7^.
And the disabled blue bricks are 3c.

If you want to make invisible tiles/disabled blue bricks, just place down the formation of those tiles with any brick that you know the ID of (e.g. regular blue brick = 3d) then search for this ID in the code and replace those IDs with either 7^ or 3c, depending on which one you want.

~MP3 Amplifier~
THE DARK LAMP

Error contacting Twitter

Return to Super Mario 63 Level Designer